Lighting is an essential component of every perimeter security installation. It is usually the first line of defense at the security fence or wall line. Lights deter intruders from attempting to breach the perimeter, improve early detection, and limit intruder movements while security staff mobilizes.
Benefits of Perimeter Security Lighting
- Increased distance monitoring
- Increased movement detection
- Increased clarity for CCTV cameras
- Deter intrusion attempts
- Peace of mind
Deterring and Detecting Threats
Exterior security lighting is used in conjunction with fencing, guards, and access control systems and are excellent psychological deterrents against would-be intruders. Security staff that patrol the grounds at night need low-level lights for patrolling while also limiting their visibility to intruders.
A wide range of exterior security lighting allows for more effective and reliable surveillance. Light at low levels can help to enhance the vision of security forces by contrasting objects with their surroundings, which is ideal in harsh conditions such as fog or darkness. In addition, this type of light minimizes glare and does not interfere with automated monitoring systems like CCTV cameras.
Types of Security Lighting
- Continuous Lighting
Continuous lighting floods a given area with overlapping cones of light.
- Standby Lighting
Fence sensors or manual input are used trigger lights when suspicious activity is detected.
- Emergency Lighting
Powered by a battery or generator, emergency lighting is used when normal lighting fails.
- Portable Lighting
These are temporary lights that are usually manual and movable.
Security Lighting Placement
Factors that affect the effectiveness of security lighting include:
- Height of the light fixture
- Light trespass
- Direct glare
- Light uniformity
Senstar LM100: Perimeter Intrusion Detection and Deterrence System
Combining two key security functions in one cutting-edge product, the Senstar LM100 acts as a powerful deterrent against intruders, detecting and illuminating them at the fence line while alerting the site’s security system.
Learn More About Senstar LM100
Security Lighting Resources
- Top 4 Security Lighting Technologies For Perimeter Applications
- Installing Intelligent Security Lighting On Palisade Fences
- Preventing Theft With Intelligent Lighting And Intrusion Detection
- 6 Steps To Affordable Perimeter Security And Lighting
- Improving Physical Security While Saving Money
- Green Security: Improve Security While Reducing Environmental Impact And Energy Costs
- Integrated intelligent lighting, video and audio systems