As the Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) penetrate deeper into our everyday lives, they are creating an ever-growing net of cyber-connected physical systems. These cyber-physical systems (CPS) increase security vulnerabilities as multiple layers of protection are required to prevent threats or intrusion.
The integration of physical and cyber assets into critical infrastructure protection is essential to understanding the overall picture of risk assessment and management. Crucial information about potential threats needed by security staff may not be available if cybersecurity and physical security remain siloed.
Advantages of Integrated Physical Infrastructure Security and Cybersecurity
- Access to cyber and physical infrastructure security functions
- Greater threat management capability
- Increased communication, collaborative and coordinative functions
- Better preparedness
Disadvantages of Non-Cyberconnected Physical Systems
- Lack of collaboration between independent security functions
- Impeded coordination
- Decreased preventative and response measures
- Limited communication between cyber and physical assets